Navbar

Image Map

Monday, June 3, 2013

Poppin Tags

Since we finished up demolition this week, I celebrated by shopping.  But before I get to that, I wanted to update you on how things are looking at the end of this week.


We finished tearing down walls on the first floor. Looking from kitchen through the bathroom and into the master bedroom.

And after a long day of demolition, I just couldn't wait for a shower! 

Now onto the shopping from this week.  If you know me at all, you probably know that I like a good shopping trip especially if it includes a good trip to a thrift shop...but we'll get to that.

This week I stopped at Wabash Electric to look at lighting - not purchase, just look.  I had a lot of people recommending Wabash Electric and I found exactly what I was looking for in the kitchen.  I'm thinking Copper. Which can be a difficult finish to find but the staff at Wabash Electric were so helpful in showing me my options! At first I considered something that was oil brushed bronze but I really like the idea of bringing copper in to warm up the white and black scheme that I have in our kitchen.  Also I like that copper has a "farmhouse" flair to it. Here's the ones I really like! Picture the wall light above the sink and two pendants over the island.  
And speaking of sinks... We also purchased this sink this week too:
Whitehaven(R) Under-Mount Cast Iron Single-Bowl Kitchen Sinks


And from sinks we moved to appliances.  Breath in, breath out...that was definitely an area that proved to be extra stressful to me.  Probably because the decision is so technical and less aesthetically based.  I had to leave it up to my Nerdy (consumer-reports-loving) husband to make the final decision.   I hope we made the right one!


Kenmore
Kenmore

LG
I also stopped by Home Depot and Lowes to check out faucets and lighting.  Nothing really stood out except......... on the way to Lowes, I saw the Habitat Restore.  I thought "what the hey, I'll stop and look around."  And boy am I glad I did.

If you have never been to a Habitat Restore, you may be missing out.  I say "may" because it depends on the type of person you are.  If you like Goodwill and you like home improvement stores, you will LOVE the Restore! I like to check out their lighting and their doors, and their fixtures, and their furniture, and their tile. So as I got back to the tile section, there it was: 2.5 boxes full of beautiful new white 3x6 subway tiles! Like the subway tiles I was planning on using in our kitchen and bathroom?  Oh yes.  Those would be the ones.  Something like this and this:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiZZLqc2HD6ORmicEkOjTHbA_Ryy1uj5alBffqdsehVwlbCWO6wnhSvmBjiLoh_6GJBB-UnZIk_izP8KInPnIcsubhFsz3RpW0e33Jg4esqIEB-Y2tprE_2SUaDe3V0gP8zbQLHMJ6IusF1/s1600/traditional-bathroom.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E4CJN3vvUHY/TH7sb1gLotI/AAAAAAAAArc/ZDYeUTGmOck/s1600/Backsplash+-+subway+tile.jpg


 And once I found out the price?.... I looked like this:



There were 100 tiles in each box and they were priced at 5cents a tile.  So did that mean each box was $5?! It sure did.  My only hesitation was... is there enough here?  Luckily, I called up my brother-in-law (our very own tile guru) and he helped me figure out approximately how much tile I would need.  And we also found the same tile for sale at Home Depot for $22 for a box of 100! Holla! That's a big savings ($5 vs $22)! So although we did not have enough tile to do the kitchen and the bathroom, I know I can get more at Home Depot! Woo hoo!

 I mean, there was really no coming down after a score like that.  I could barely contain myself and hold back from calling Michael and telling him about my big score! But I really wanted to surprise him, so I did.

I was so encouraged when I found the tile at the Restore.  At times, I get a little discouraged by how much things cost and how little I want to compromise on the quality vs the cost of things.  But it is purchases like this that remind me that patience and shopping around can make a world of difference!  

What's next you might ask?... And I would reply: Isn't that enough?! And of course it is not.  There are still sooooooo many things to think about and purchase.  Good thing I'm having the time of my life, huh?  Windows, we are going to make a decision this week on who we are going to go with for windows - It's the common rivalry of Pella vs. Anderson.  So if you have any opinions on the two, I'd love to hear about it!  We also will probably be deciding on siding soon as well.  Fun!

See you in about a week with another update!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Questions, comments, advice...Think of this as your invitation to add something to our blog.